2012年2月16日木曜日

What Is Natural Flavor?

what is natural flavor?

Natural Flavor Isn't Really Natural

February 10th, 2012

I thought I knew what I'm eating, most of the time.

But I really didn't. That was until I watched "The Flavorists," a segment on 60-minutes about how food scientists specialize in tweaking tastes in our foods. The video also explains what "natural flavor" really is. I watched this segment a few months ago and was disturbed, to say the least. I've been wanting to share this for sometime now.


Bakto Flavors Natural Extract Collection, 12 1FL OZ
Learn more

As a follow up to watching the video, I recently scoured our cupboards to find some "natural flavor" foods. We typically eat pretty clean around here and outside of bread, cereal and the occasional crackers. I try to cook most everything. But I did find one culprit. This is the ingredient list for a package of chicken bouillon cubes.


Flavor First: Cut Calories and Boost Flavor with 75 Delicious, All-Natural Recipes
Learn more
Cheryl Forberg RD

So back to that natural flavor as you will hear about in the video. As this 60-minutes report indicates: "Natural flavors come from nature, but not necessarily from what the label implies. For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor can come from the gland in a beaver's backside."

That is not a typo. My jaw about dropped when I heard that. I can't be the only person who thought natural strawberry flavor meant it came from strawberries. Further, the "flavorists" admit to creating tastes so good they take on an addictive nature. The goal is to get the consumer hooked on these man-made flavors so they will buy — and buy again.


As much as I try to avoid processed foods I still eat them from time to time. And when I go out to eat I don't know for certain what is in all of the food I order. More and more reports like this disturb me. More disturbing, however, is how many Americans probably do not realize this is going on.

If the video window doesn't work, you can find the "Flavorists" video here as well.



These are our most popular posts: what is natural flavor?

Is It Just Me … #2

So I gathered a online store that sells Jolly Time Crispy n White Natural Flavor White Microwave Popcorn, 3-Count Boxes (Pack of 12) and compare prices to. Some online shops offers me free shipping and warrantee of ... read more

Natural Flavorings

You can see that the nutrition is less processed? I have no idea. And, while were at it, what is "Natural flavor with other natural flavor" supposed to mean? This entry was posted in Strange Photos. Bookmark the permalink. read more

Best Reviews: Absolutely Amazing Non-metallic TruFlavorWare ...

So back to that natural flavor as you will hear about in the video. As this 60-minutes report indicates: "Natural flavors come from nature, but not necessarily from what the label implies. For example, strawberry and vanilla flavor ... read more

Natural Flavor Isnt Really Natural

Yum Drops® uses natural flavors and just a just a hint of natural stevia sweetener to enhance the flavoring and not ... read more

Related Posts



0 コメント:

コメントを投稿